RE: meaning of "systematic"

I understand JSTOR and IEEE both to mean that users cannot download issue
after issue in their entirety. That seemed perfectly logical to me, even
if a bit of a gray area to define precisely. But another colleague then
asked why!!! And I found that I had no real answer! I suppose if we get
the journal in print, a faculty member or student CAN make personal copies
of every single article if they want to, can't they? Sorry to sound naive,
but the more I thought about it, the less sure I was that the publisher
has hard ground here. Of course it seems a little greedy and aggressive to
download and print reams of paper...the issue or more...but are we really
able to police that? If I'm way out on a limb here, I'm sure everyone will
jump in to saw it off very quickly!

Carole Richter Pilkinton
Electronic Resources Librarian
University of Notre Dame Libraries