Poor analogy (was RE: DMCA alternatives (RE: Clarification (RE: "Fair Use" IsGetting Unfair Treatment))

Ah, another day, another set of emails from Hamaker and Anderson.  As
constant as the dawn ;-)  (I'm poking, I know, but don't get me wrong--I
do like the turn in the conversation towards what would make for a better
DMCA rather than just the laundry lists of what is wrong with it).

I am not a lawyer--i don't even play one one TV.  I am not I am not a
writer, so artful analogy doesn;t happen for me either.  I barely made it
through my logic course in college so I am also not the best person to
come to when it comes time to evaluate logical arguments.

That said, it seems to me that using a breaking into a house analogy to
inform discussion about bypassing copy protection is not even an
apples/oranges comparison.  Homes and copyright are different enough that
comparisons involving them are of limited use--at least for me.  Just the
fact that one can own a home in perpetuity, passing that home to an
unlimited number of future generations compared to a limited monopoly
granted by the government as a way of balancing one's right to profit from
their creations with the public's right to build on those creations, well
that alone is enough to make the comparisons of limited value--even when
considering databases as opposed to CDs.

Reading Boucher's recent speech

(http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/fairusespeech.htm) on fair use has some
descriptions of the problem that are far more informative.  Not new, of
course, but certainly refreshing when they are coming from a member of
congress.

If the purpose of the back and forth between Anderson and Hamaker is to
make Hamaker tighten his arguments for preserving the fair use provisions
by getting rid of the DMCA, then fine.  I am all for the often necessary
role of the devil's advocate.  But if it is to defend a law that gives
copyright holders the right to bypass fair use provisions by hiding
content behind technological devices that can prevent one from exercising
their fair use and noninfringing rights (rights shown by the supreme court
in the Betamax case to continue to exist even as new technologies come
into play), then I am sorry, I am not convinced yet.  If you really want
to stick with the real estate analogies, we shouldn't criminally prosecute
people who climb a fence if they have a right to walk a path.  We should
instead be preserving the rights to walk those paths as more and more of
them come under the control of a fewer number corporations.

--matt