RE: Clarification (RE: "Fair Use" Is Getting Unfair Treatment)

Michael

There are already problems with some music CD's being released that are
copy protected, and don't work on some cd players because of that code.
There have been a couple of news releases to this effect.

The case of DVD's not working on Linux machines, but writing code that
would permit that use, is already being decided in the courts...no defense
seems to be permitted that providing access to code could well be for
non-infringing use. Providing access to the code is sufficient reason for
legal action -at least that is my understanding of the DECSS cases.

I was stating that some one can be and has been jailed for circumventing
anti-circumvention software.

My understanding of the DMCA is that this is exactly the thrust of the
statute. That use of the material thus circumvented is fair use, is not a
defense. That is what the Elcomsoft and Adobe case is about. It is the
fact of the creation of a circumvention product that is illegal, and the
Russian programmer was jailed and still, (I may be behind on the details)
could end up in jail for creating a tool that might be used for either
infringing or non-infringing use.

Yes, my argument is that the use of the material should be the basis for
action, not the fact that I've used a different can-opener than the
producer wants me to use, to get to the content.