Re: Negotiating with the Library of Congress

Rick, what you describe has been tried (sometimes successfully) by
numerous intellectual property "owners."  The key is to carefully read the
license guidelines.  If this component is there DO NOT sign.  Similarly,
as I found out the hard way, if you sign off on a license/contract that in
any way restricts "Fair Use," then that contract supecedes the fair use
guidelines and you are stuck with whatever you signed off on.  A point
that I keep belaboring and which our associations seems unwilling to face
as squarely as we might wish, is that we (all libraries) need to develop
guidelines so that individual libraries will have a template to use when
negotiating.  Right now the publishers and others are running rampant with
whatever "rules" they can get away with.  MLA, ALA, SLA, and the rest need
to work together to establish guidelines that are fair to both libraries
and publishers.  Libraries with substantial collections budgets have a
certain amount of clout with the publishers and others.  That "clout" will
be exponentially increased if we establish guidelines that most libraries
choose to adhere to.  If the vendors do not agree to our guidelines to our
satisfaction, then NO DEAL.  Policies such as pushing off all liability
for improper use onto the libraries, restricting fair use, etc., should be
deal breakers.  Individually, we have had success in dealing with some
publishers and vendors by not signing off on licenses which we find too
restrictive or in any other way unacceptable.  However, this will not work
unless you are committed to cancelling or not ordering the product if an
agreement is not reached.  I don't recall one deal that was cancelled due
to not working through the issues.  They tend to want to make the sale and
are usually willing to negotiate.  Individual libraries may have some
clout, but collectively we would be a powerhouse.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and