US states and sovereignty- L'annee Philgique

In the next message, to be sent by the moderator, you will find a copy for
informational purposes.  Do other states have something similar?

Best Regards,

Andrew Evans
Electronic Licensing Coordinator
Kansas State University Libraries
137 Hale Library
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-1200
(785) 532-7492
aevans@ksu.edu

>>> Carolyn_Kacena@tamu-commerce.edu 05/08/02 04:51PM >>>
Comment from our former university lawyer...

I don't know the answer. I was always told that as a state institution,
our university could sign no contract that subjected us to the
jurisdiction of any entity other than the State of Texas (excepting
federal law of course). Among university attorneys this was "black letter
law." I never actully looked up the provision. It is probably in the our
constitution, and heaven help the person who is looking for something
there. We modified a lot of contracts because of this requirement.  Let me
know if I can be of further assistance.  Charles Turner

Carolyn Kacena, Director                (903)886-5716
Gee Library                             (903)886-5723 (fax)
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011                           Carolyn_Kacena@tamu-commerce.edu
Commerce, TX  75429-3011