RE: Journal of Immunology

On 07 May 2002 04:43, Kimberly Parker [SMTP:kimberly.parker@yale.edu] wrote:

> To me, identity means "personal identity" and while we can say that an
> Authorized User has been authenticated as a member of that *group*, we do
> not check for personal identities when people are on campus.  The fact
> that they are using computers on our IP network means they are acceptable
> as walk-ins.
>
> If the word "identity" were changed to "validity" or something of that
> sort I would be very much happier about the definition.

If I recall, one of the concerns, when the definition of Secure Network
was being developed, was that the institution should be able to identify
the user should it be necessary to take appropriate action against him or
her for breaches of the licence terms. The publisher however need and
should have no interest in the reader's identity.

Besides, I am curious to know how one might securely validate membership
of a particular group (e.g. authorised users)  without the
validation/authentication system knowing the user's identity.

Edward Barrow
New Media Copyright Consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/
***Important:   see http://www.copyweb.co.uk/email.htm for information about