RE: Journal of Immunology

Although I cannot vouch for the Journal of Immunology, this definition of
Secure Network looks extremely familiar - it occurs in the model licences
used in UK higher education and in an earlier role I had some input into
its drafting.

The purpose is that there should be good network-level authentication
rather than resource-level authentication. It does place a requirement for
"best practice" in the network administration, but as John Webb points out
your university network should meet those for whole host of other security
reasons besides the concerns of the publisher.

As for walk-ins, the model licences which include this Secure Network
definition make provision for them. There should again be best practice in
the administration of walk-in authentication - which will evolve with
experience.

Edward Barrow
New media copyright consultant
edward@copyweb.co.uk