RE: ALPSP statement on e-publishing.

Bob,

Considering that the salary you need to pay a top-notch kick-ass
sgml-dtd-writing, P3P-overhauling, server maintaining,
desktop-publishing-converting professional human being is perhaps half of
what it was a year or two ago, I'll put McGraw-Hill down for a 15%
cost-efficiency improvement this year;-}

But more seriously, you touch on an interesting point which relates to
changing business models in the midst of technological change.  Also known
as the trying-to-turn-a-battleship-on-a-dime problem. But it seems to me
that an electronic publishing initiative that takes years to move into the
black is an electronic publishing initiative that is not focusing enough
on cost reduction.

Eric Hellman