Re: IP industry control of use

You are of course right, Sally, that in this field, where authors' direct
financial interests are usually not involved, the interests of the author
and the publisher need not clash. It very much should be possible for
people of good will to find standard contracts that satisfy both parties,
and I agree we are all increasingly doing so.

But fair use is also an important right to preserve. It provides a
recourse against unreasonable demands, it provides even a little pressure
to arrive at a just contract instead to leaving things open to dubious
interpretation, and it provides the level playing ground needed for
compromise. Without it, the recent discussions would have been much more
rancorous, all parties would be much more defensive, and we would have all
stopped talking to each other long ago.

David Goodman
Research Librarian and
Biological Sciences Bibliographer