Re: ALPSP statement on e-publishing.

Peter's argument about the University of Chicago Press experience is
incomplete without noting that the University of Chicago Press's
production process has always been oriented towards very high-quality,
carefully redacted titles. In other words, the electronic-first process
saved money on a process that started out expensive.

Many other publishers have found that in order to go electronic, they have
had to clean up a lot of messes that the print-first process was letting
them ignore. So, in fact they are not lying when they say electronic costs
them more.

I have previously observed that journal publishing is now a technology
business, and like all other technology businesses will experience an
exponential decline in cost of production. The chip industry has been on a
curve of 100% improvement every 18 months; for the steel industry the rate
has been much smaller, but constant nonetheless.

My estimates are that per-article cost of production in journal publishing
will decline by about 10% per year for the forseeable future. Producers
that exceed this rate will do well, producers that lag will not do well.

Eric