Re: ALPSP statement on e-publishing.

Chuck's comments are even more applicable when one realizes the decreasing
cost of computers and their accessories.  This is of course just Moore's
law, and it applies to all computer hardware, though storage is the most
dramatic example. This naturally is most dramatically shown in the
decreasing cost of storage. The one thing about cost that any publisher
can predict, is that the cost for storage of the material, and the
computers that host them, will decrease in the future. This is probably
not true for any other element of cost in their business.  Therefore, to
the extent that electronic publication replaces print, it will decrease
publishers costs. To the extent it supplements print, the extra expense
will continually decrease

And it should be remembered that about 80 to 90% of the cost of a journal
occurs independently of the printing or distributions since the conversion
into reproducible format is now generally done in common for both means of
distribution. This is the cost of reviewing, editing, and conversion into
reproducible format, all important and necessary functions. It also covers
the costs of sales, advertising, promotion, executive and support
salaries, and so forth, which are of a somewhat lesser degree of
importance.

Therefore, electronic publication does not affect at least 80% of the
cost, and decreases the other 20%.

What is expensive is the reliance upon outside consultants and vendors of
computer services; this becomes particularly expensive when the provider
fails to supply adequate service and must be replaced. This is an
indication that the publisher has not made competent plans; that it has
invested in obsolete rather the current equipment, and trained staff
knowledgeable in obsolete rather than current techniques. (I would say the
same of any library that outsourced basic computer functions.)

It is therefore particularly disappointing to read the arguments that
Chuck mentioned, which have been proven false quite a few years ago.

There are real problems in the publication industry. There are many areas
where libraries and publishers need to understand each other better. There
is potential for cooperation, and most of us are eager to do so. But when
I read a statement like this, I wonder whether it really is possible. If
this is representative, either the publishers have not yet learned enough
to understand, or they take us to be fools.

David Goodman
Princeton University