From: Rick Anderson [mailto:rickand@unr.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 9:43 PM
To: Hamaker, Chuck; liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Pricing of DVD vs. Video.

> On new releases. looks like DVD is much less expensive than video.

This is sometimes true for new releases.  On the other hand, go to the
"Hot New Releases" section at Amazon and check out the VHS prices: $25 for
Harry Potter, $15 for Bridget Jones, $23 for Ocean's Eleven... not a
single one lists at over $25 (except for the multi-tape box sets).  Those
$100-plus VHS prices are an anomaly, I think.  I'd be interested to know
why those pricing anomalies exist -- look up Moulin Rouge and you'll find
you can buy it on VHS for $110 or $13, and there's no apparent difference
between the two versions.  Anybody know why this is?