RE: Slagging Over Sagging CD Sales

I've been amazed at the posturing of the music industry decrying declines
in sales of CD's for the past year, with no other reason suggested for the
decline than individuals pirating music. I wonder if they had a recession
like most of the rest of the world? If they suffered from it, they
certainly don't mention it could have had any impact on their sales. Was
their product less worth listening too? Any industry that treats its
primary customers as thieves will probably lose many customers. Have they
made their primary customers so mad they are boycotting their products? Or
is it just that customers want a lot more variety than the industry is
willing to provide? When I talk with 20 somethings what I hear is they get
bored with the same old same old very quickly with regards to commercial
music. What do music industry customer surveys tell them about their
products?? What needs changed from their end of the business? Is it cost,
is it distribution models, is it content? Is it the customer's economic
situation? Those are the kinds of questions most industries ask when their
sales fall. But not our friends in the IP empire. -they brand their
customers thieves and threaten to put them in jail.

With such self-serving press releases, its hard to have much sympathy for
an industry that is so willing to point the finger at someone else at the
same time they are demanding congress step in and somehow save them from
the consequences of their own behavior. I'm sure we've all noticed that
while DVD's of feature films cost significantly less to the purchaser than
video tapes, CD's of music cost much more than cassettes. Has the movie
industry learned from music's mistakes? The music industry continues to
make the same mistakes, and is trying to enshrine their rigid reliance on
old distribution models through new laws.

More seriously, they are becoming the model for all other IP empire
distribution. That's not only scary, it trumps concerns of public domain,
fair use, and in the end, common sense expectation of purchasers--

Chuck