Re: Developing Nations initiatives

I am sure that you will find that there are several initiatives to
increase access to electronic publications in social sciences and
humanities. Certainly these areas are covered within the Programme for the
Enhancement of Research Information (PERI), where differentially priced
country-wide access licenses have been negotiated for up to 129 countries
(including almost all countries within sub-Saharan Africa).  Your
colleague can find details available from http://www.inasp.info/peri/ For
example, opportunities through PERI include all the social science and
humanities journals available through EBSCO Publishing (this must be in
the order of 3000 full-text titles), the Blackwell's Social Science and
Humanities collection (296 titles) etc.  Also it is significant to note
that the Social Science journals available through African Journals OnLine
(AJOL) http://www.inasp.info/ajol/ continue to have by far the highest hit
rates per month.

If your faculty member would like to drop me an e-mail I would be pleased
to share some general principles of the price structures.  She might also
be interested to know of the usage statistics through PERI of databases
such as Academic Search Premier.  The University of Makerere in Uganda
recorded very high levels indeed (along with the University go Ghana,
Legon and the University of Dar es Salaam).

Carol Priestley
Director

International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications
(INASP)
27 Park End Street
Oxford
OX1 1HU