Physics Today Online

-----Original Message-----
From: ONLINE [mailto:ONLINE@AIP.ORG]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 11:13 AM
To: Hamaker, Chuck
Subject: Re: REgistration and use data

Dear Chuck Hamaker,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that, starting with the January 2002 issue, Physics
Today Online, published by the American Institute of Physics (AIP), will
be placed under limited access, available in its entirety only to
individual subscribers and to members of AIP's 10 Member Societies.  This
action was decided upon by AIP's Governing Board and recognizes the fact
that Physics Today is distributed by the Societies as an exclusive member
benefit.  The current site has always indicated that access controls would
be put in place at some date in the future. That time has come.

Some of the online material at www.physicstoday.org will remain available
to all.  Job opportunities, lists of upcoming meetings, and Member Society
information will always be freely accessible.  In addition, the Editors
will choose a few items from each issue for unrestricted access.

AIP recognizes the importance of our institutional subscribers and that
there will be some challenges to your users as a result of our policy.
The print version of Physics Today and the unrestricted portions of the
Web site will provide continuity for your patrons who are not subscribers.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Customer Service
American Institute of Physics
Suite 1NO1
2 Huntington Quadrangle