Institutional Access to Lancet Online

Here's a new and bizarre twist that our serials librarian has come across
(her report follows).  This sounds like what Wiley was doing a couple of
years ago (requiring endusers to register with the website even though the
institution had a subscription).  But it's even more intrusive: Lancet is
demanding name, mail address and email address.  Then the enduser must
assign himself a username and password.

A large number of complaints to Wiley put an end to the practice of
requiring enduser registration.  I'm suggesting strongly that this
practice, if we are indeed understanding it correctly, be protested loudly
and directly to Lancet.  One question before I call London: Has anyone
else received the same information as we have?

Margo Coletti
Medical Library Services Director
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Avenue
Boston MA 02215

phone (617) 667-4225   fax (617) 667-7197