Re: Developing nations initiatives

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:36:41 EST
 From: Peter Suber
 To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
 Subject: Re: Developing nations initiatives

 At 10:11 AM 1/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
 >As per a previous message to liblicense-l, readers of this list know that
 >the LIBLICENSE web site has created a branch called Developing Nations
 >Initiatives, at:
 >
 >http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/develop.shtml
 >
 >There we have begun a listing of projects and publishers that make their
 >content available for free or at a low cost to emerging nations.
 >
 >We *know* this list is far from complete, and that a growing number of
 >publishers, both for-profit and not-for-profit, are creating such programs
 >for some or all their titles. Several of us who attended an e-journals
 >meeting last week heard publishers mention efforts along these lines.
 >
 >So -- if you are a publisher of such a title or titles or project, would
 >you let us know? If you are not but know of someone to contact, please
 >let us know that as well. You can reply to this list or to me directly.
 >
 >It is our understanding that at least a portion of the World Health
 >Organization's HINARI project will be officially launched soon, so stay
 >tuned for news of that.

 Here are some others for your list:

 Bioline
 http://bioline.bdt.org.br/
 (Latin America, India, Indonesia, Africa)

 Electronic Publishing Trust for Development
 http://www.epublishingtrust.org/

 Electronic Society for Social Science
 http://www.elsss.org.uk/
 (free subscriptions to developing countries)

 Programme for the Enhancement of Research Information
 http://www.inasp.org.uk/peri/index.html
 (an INASP program)

 SciELO (Scientific Electronic Library Online)
 http://www.scielo.br/
 (Brazil, Chile, Cuba)

 Virtual Health Library
 http://www.bireme.br/bvs/I/ihome.htm
 (Latin America and the Caribbean)

 Peter

 Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
 Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
 Email peters@earlham.edu
 Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

 Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
 http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/