Re: Recent Pricing/Licensing Terms for Society Publications

Herein is the attachment referenced in Ms. Althen's recent posting to
liblicense-l.

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:34:13 -0600
From: Elsa Althen <ealthen@library.wisc.edu>

**

(electronic format)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:00:04 -0500
From: webeditor@aslo.org
To: Elsa Althen <ealthen@library.wisc.edu>

Hello,

Because much of ASLO's funding comes from publication of Limnology and
Oceanography, we are taking a moderately cautious approach as we move
further into electronic publishing. Although we know library subscriptions
to the printed L&O coexist with individual subscriptions on a given
campus, we suspect that campus-wide electronic access to Limnology and
Oceanography might result in the loss of individual subscriptions.
Granting site-wide electronic access might require a change in the
subscription rate structure in order to balance the loss of revenue.

Until we can better assess this possibility, we are taking the interim
step of restricting electronic access to a single facility.  Our intention
is to provide all the functionality of a print subscription, with some
enhancements. Because paper copies of research journals are generally
non-circulating, they are also used within a single building. We will
allow reasonable numbers of copies to be printed from the electronic file,
just as a library would allow reasonable numbers of photocopies of
portions of a printed research journal.

A working group will be meeting in January to discuss electronic
publishing policy issues, including the scope of electronic access, and
will address the topic in a February Board meeting.  I would welcome input
from the library perpective!

Regards,

Paul Kemp