Re: Recent Pricing/Licensing Terms for Society Publications

I agree, limiting use to a single building or site is unacceptable.
Limiting to a single campus is just as unacceptable for us and we wouldn't
subscribe.  The reason most of us get the E versions is because we want to
provide 24-hour/from anywhere access to our users.

As for the huge increase in the E + print, this is not particularly
unusual.  Let's face it, if users at your institution begin having this
available online they will most likely drop their personal subs if they
have any.  The extra amount is to cover their (publishers') investment.
Often, when we add the E with the aggregators for hundreds of thousands $$
worth of subs there is is a surcharge of 10% or more.  If you have $500,
worth of subs, you'll pay $50k extra.  Not a bad deal and sometimes that
surcharge gives you even more titles than you have in print.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and