RE: Library response to BioMed Central's new Institutional Membership Program

Personally, I don't see an intrinsic difference between institutions
paying a fixed fee to BioMed and page charges required by many society
presses, except who pays the fee (the library or the author).  They are
both fees levied on the submitter.  In the new model, a flat yearly fee is
charged irrespective of the number of articles submitted to a small number
(50) new and untested online journals.  It also comes with the restriction
that the sum of these author charges goes to one commercial publisher as
opposed to being spread around the publishing world.  I think the concept
of providing free uninhibited access to scholarly information is a
laudable concept; however, I think that the BioMed solution is more
restrictive and limiting than the traditional model.  BioMed is *not* a
non-profit society publisher -- they are a for-profit commercial
enterprise competing for subscription dollars like everyone else.  If
libraries are considering the BioMed model, we should also consider paying
the page-charges to non-profit publishers, many of which have proven to
produce prestigious scholarly journals at affordable prices to libraries.

Phil Davis
Life Sciences Bibliographer
Albert R. Mann Library, Cornell University