RE: PsycArticles License

But there is no real risk that libraries will abuse copyright in ILL
transactions. If anything, ILL people I've known are over-scrupulous,
paying for things that come within free use rather than examining the
statutory criteria.

If a publisher is concerned with students, who in some cases may cheat
(though not usually about scientific journals in comparison to things that
tend to interest them more), why do they make things difficult for the
people who are known not to cheat?  Possibly because they are may be so
afraid that their whole business will collapse once their contributors
realize the true price/benefit ratio, that they are self protective in a
way which is so extreme as to be self destructive.

The very organizations they are harming are their only remaining
customers. When libraries do not sign licenses because they don't like
difficult copyright clauses, or for that matter clauses dealing with the
legal forum for hypothetical suits that have never been known to take
place, or liabilities that are unlikely beyond the point of reason--what
could hurt the publisher more than this?

If they wasted less money on things like this, their journals might just
be more affordable; if we had to spend less money dealing with these
things, we might just have more to buy the journals with.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235