ASA Conference 2002 Electronic Journals: Solutions in Sight?

Below is the programme of our annual conference which you may find of
interest. Last year we were full up and to my regret had to turn some
away. This year we have a silghtly bigger venue but book early to be
safe... Full information, registration form etc from
www.subscription-agents.org under the Conference button.  Apologies for
cross posting.

Rollo Turner
Secretary General
Association of Subscription Agents and Intermediaries
10 Lime Avenue, High Wycombe, Bucks HP11 1DP,UK
Tel +44 (0)1494 534778       www.subscription-agents.org
Email rollo.turner@onet.co.uk

Electronic Journals - Solutions in Sight?

BMA House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JP
Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 February 2002

10.30  Introduction and welcome            Peter Lawson, Chairman ASA

10.45  How librarians use electronic journals
The reality of electronic journals in an academic environment
Tony Kidd, University of Glasgow
Can electronic journals meet the needs of corporate users?
Roger Brown, Manager Contracts and Licensing, GlaxoSmithKline

11.45  The researcher's perspective
How researchers use e-journals - challenges and possible solutions
Michael Ashburner, University of Cambridge
Electronic journals as an educational tool
Dr Karl Harrison, Dept of Chemistry, University of Oxford

12.45 LUNCH

Chairman: Colin Harrison, Chief Executive, Everetts
2.00   Purchasing and access
Consortium purchasing - will it work? A German experience
Werner Reinhardt, University of Siegen and GASCO
Traditional purchasing and new roles for the intermediary
Ian Middleton, Ebsco

3.00  Licensing - cooperation not confrontation
Licensing to maximise value for the end user.
Jan Willem Dijkstra, Elsevier
The channels to the market and selling through intermediaries
Gertraud Griepke, Director LINK, Springer Verlag

4.00 TEA

Can the intermediary make licensing simpler and more efficient?
Terry Morrow,  ingenta
The customer's view
Jill Taylor-Roe, University of Newcastle

5.30              RECEPTION drinks and canap�s

Tuesday 26 February

Chairman  Peter Lawson, Chairman ASA
9.00.am   Linking - the beginning of the solution?
Developing added value through linking
Yvonne Campfens, Swets Blackwell
Providing integrated information - linking in the library
Frances Boyle, Electronic Resource Co-ordinator, Oxford University Library
services
Meeting customer needs through linking
Terry Hulbert, IOPP
Identifiers are important too
Albert W. Simmonds, Business Manager, OCLC Resolution Services

11.00 Coffee

11.30 Usage statistics
New developments and emerging solutions?
Richard Gedye, Journals Sales and Marketing Director, OUP

12.00 Where do we go from here?
New initiatives from the library community
Alicia Wise, JISC (an Eblida member)
New initiatives from intermediaries
Rollo Turner, ASA