RE: PsycArticles License

> The above quote is your own argument, Rick-if this kind of wording in a
> license is good enough for publishers/aggregators (and apparently also for
> you) to allow these "fuzzy" undergrads access to 1000s of journal
> articles, why wouldn't a similar clause regarding restrictions on ILL also
> be enough (given that this kind of distribution is far less likely via ILL
> than it is via the 1000s of electronic journals these undergrads have 24/7
> access to, simply by virtue of the greater number of opportunities)?

Because with ILL, the electronic copy would be delivered directly to an
end user, probably via e-mail.  It's much easier to forward an e-mail
message than it is to turn a web-based article into an e-mail message.
Some online databases allow you to e-mail articles to a friend (and
presumably the licenses for those databases don't restrict electronic
ILL!) but most do not, and while one can usually cut and paste an article
into an e-mail message the formatting will often end up screwy if you try.
It's just one more example of an annoyance that will prevent some (though
not all) infringement.

> I'll tell you why-and again, as you point out yourself-"because there is
> money to be made" providing electronic access to libraries, while on the
> other hand, no money to be made from allowing ILL. Pretty clear from your
> own arguments what the intentions of publishers are.

I don't think there's any question what the intentions of publishers are.
The for-profit ones, anyway, are out to make money, and one way they do so
is by protecting their copyrights.  That's not the question.  The question
is whether it's reasonable for them to do so, in part, by restricting ILL
to print copies.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno        "All Reviews in the world
1664 No. Virginia St.              begin with the intention
Reno, NV  89557                    of being virtuous.  None
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273            have been."
FX  (775) 784-1328                   -- Gustave Flaubert
rickand@unr.edu