Re: privacy promises and languge interfaces at Lindt

 Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:01:09 EST
 From: Peter Suber
 To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
 Subject: Re: privacy promises and languge interfaces at Lindt

 >While checking out the home page of Lindt-Sprungli chocolate
 >(www.lindt.com), I discovered there two very nice features:
 >
 >1. A particularly user-friendly privacy policy (click on "our privacy
 >promise"); see section on "cookies," for example.
 >
 >2. A choice of interfaces in English, French, German -- depending on
 >country choice one makes. This is a feature one sees very little or not
 >at all for academic content. Anyone know of publishers who have
 >multi-lingual interfaces?
 >
 >Ann Okerson
 >Yale University

 Ann: I've been looking (for a future FOSN story on this problem) but
 still haven't found a good example. There are many online journals
 primarily in a non-English language with an English version, and sometimes
 versions in a few other languages as well. The major search engines
 (notably, Google, FAST, Northern Light, and Alta Vista) let users specify
 the language of a search. But generally the scholarly web is as
 linguistically fragmented as the commercial web. This wouldn't matter
 much if machine translation were good, but of course it's lousy. I'll be
 interested to see what other LibLicense readers come up with.

 Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
 Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
 Email peters@earlham.edu
 Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

 Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
 http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/