Re: Call for Papers: _E-Serials Collection Management_

Oct. 26, 2001

To the members of this listserv:

I am editing a book for Haworth Press entitled "E-SERIALS COLLECTION
MANAGEMENT: TRANSITIONS, TRENDS AND TECHNICALITIES". This book is a volume
in the series "Haworth Series on Serials Librarianship and Continuing
Resources". It will be a collection of essays by various library and
publishing professionals such as yourself, concerning the current
environment in libraries for the acquisition, processing and presentation
of e-journals.

I would like to invite interested people to write a paper for this
collection. If you have a relevant topic in mind, please feel free to
share your idea with me; Otherwise, I have prepared a list of some 20
topics that could be relevant to this book that you may want to consider;
please find this listing at the bottom of this message.

We are projecting to have all manuscripts completed by the end of February
2002, so that editing and publishing tasks can be accomplished.

I would be pleased and honored to have some of you contribute your
thoughts to this project. Please contact me about your interest at
dfowler@iastate.edu and also let me know if I can answer any questions for
you.

Sincerely,

Dave Fowler

David C. Fowler
Assistant Professor
Electronic Resources Coordinator
Iowa State University
204 Parks Library
Ames, IA 50011
dfowler@iastate.edu
work (515) 294-0422
fax (515) 294-5525

___

OUTLINE

"E-SERIALS COLLECTION MANAGEMENT: TRANSITIONS, TRENDS AND TECHNICALITIES"
Edited by David C. Fowler

Topic Ideas:

When to catalog or not catalog electronic resources (Rebecca?)

Evaluating the actual costs of "Free" e-journals (acquisitions, cataloging
time, etc.)

Issues in coordinating e-journal collection management with print journal
collection management.

Quandaries when evaluating very high use/very high cost print/e-journal
combos subscriptions: Where has the envelope been pushed?

Strategies when confronted with license problems by vendors.

IP ranges vs. Passwords: When (if ever) are passwords an acceptable
alternative to IP access?

Moving to a new e-book paradigm

How do libraries allot staff for e-serials management (a survey?)

Current trends in IT issues for e-serials

Will the paper serial become obsolete in the academic environment?

Preservation issues for e-serials

Consortial arrangements for e-serials: When to use

Problems and solutions in e-reserve

E-serial usage statistics: in what ways are they utilized?

Problems and solutions in promoting e-serial usage to customers

Using and evaluating tracking mechanisms for e-resources

Purchasing e-serials: subscription agents vs. vendors

Problems with STM journal publishers that don't provide site licenses

Current trends in electronic journal publishing

[POSTED BY GERRY MCKIERNAN / gerrymck@iastate.edu / IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY / ON BEHALF OF DAVID FOWLER]