Re: NEJM

Rick, your arithmetic only works if the cost of the personal and library
subscription are the same, and if the cost of the personal subscription
were sufficient to actually pay for more than the true costs. If, as is
more likely to be the case, the library price in your example were $700,
the publisher would have to sell 10 more to make the same revenue, and
would also have to pay for producing 10 more copies. Why the publisher
does need the personal subscriptions, as I thought we all knew, is the
associated advertising revenue.  But the high priced library subscriptions
is where the profit comes from. The art is in balancing these sources of
income. There's no universal formula, and we've seen that a variety of
approaches are acceptable. But not all.