RE: NEJM

> Yes Rick, the publishers want to sell and we want to give it away.
> However, we are more than willing to pay a fair price for the privilege of
> "giving it away."  It's the price gouging that we can't tolerate and the
> restrictions on use.

I agree with you entirely about price gouging.  Restrictions on use, of
course, exist on a continuum -- some restrictions are appropriate and good
(since journals do not exist only for the purpose of disseminating
information, but also for the purpose of generating revenue).  We just
have to be careful that the restrictions to which we agree aren't
excessive.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno        "Beware the cynic as well as
1664 No. Virginia St.                    the huckster."
Reno, NV  89557                         -- Ted Marchese
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu