RE: NEJM

> 3. there is apparently a total lack of realization that the purpose of a
> journal is to disseminate information, and the authors who publish there
> do so not just to have the NEJM's recognition of the reliability of the
> article, but also the NEJM's wide readership.

Actually, that's only one of several purposes that a journal serves.
Another very important purpose, in most cases, is the generation of
revenue to support the activities of its publisher or sponsoring
organization.  It's just as important for us to remember that aspect of
the journal's mission as it is for the publishers to remember the
information-dissemination aspect. (Not because we necessarily care about
keeping publishers' pockets full, but because we care about being able
rationally to discuss access models, which have a direct effect on revenue
as well as on dissemination.)

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno        "Beware the cynic as well as
1664 No. Virginia St.                    the huckster."
Reno, NV  89557                         -- Ted Marchese
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu