public libraries and licenses

We had an inquiry this morning from a librarian at Toronto Public Library
regarding licensing of databases for public library use. She noted that
some electronic information providers express concern about allowing
access from the public library to individuals who work for commercial
organizations, as this can cause revenue loss for the provider -- should
members of these firms use the public library in lieu of taking out their
own corporate license.

If any of our liblicense-l readers are in public library settings, can you
reply to both Janet Gaisford (jgaisford@tpl.toronto.on.ca) and this list,
and let us know of your experience and how you handle these kinds of
situations?  What type of service do you aim to provide, and if you
aim to exclude corporate users, how do you do this?

Ann Okerson/Yale University
liblicense-l moderator