New England Journal of Medicine Modifies Model

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:47:10 -0400
From: kanderson@nejm.org
To: ann.okerson@yale.edu
Administrators

We have listened to your feedback regarding our new 5-IP workstation
access, and now understand that many institutions' networks cannot support
workstation-specific IP addressing.

For that reason, we are offering the following alternative to 5-IP
workstation access:

For a limited time only, each NEJM institutional print subscription may
keep its current administrative username and password, but must choose a
new password intended for authorized users.  The new password for
authorized users:

  -     Cannot be openly posted on the Web
  -     Cannot be systematically or broadly emailed or distributed

We believe this to be a reasonable step designed to help prevent the
widespread posting and use of passwords by those outside authorized-user
communities.  It also is intended to limit institutional use to
occasional, specific users and not to enable campus-wide access.

You may now choose either the 5-IP workstation model or the
authorized-username/password model.  Please proceed to the URL listed
below and follow the steps outlined.

http://nejm.org/custserv/instselecttype.asp

Please note: you will need your current administrative username and
password to establish your identity on the site and then complete either
process.

Your deadline for making this change is October 15, 2001.

In the next few months, we may modify this approach further, and we will
notify you well in advance should that occur.

We thank you for your patience. Please direct any comments to Kent
Anderson, NEJM Publishing Director: kanderson@nejm.org