From: T. Scott Plutchak [mailto:TSCOTT@LISTER2.LHL.UAB.EDU]
Sent: 07 September 2001 19:20
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: BioMed Central announce new publishing initiative

Let me expand on the background of my original question, since Jan's
referral to the FAQ doesn't specifically answer it.

There has been some confusion among medical librarians since the
introduction of PubMed about its content.  Many librarians initially
assumed that it was simply another interface to MEDLINE and were not aware
that it actually searches a superset of MEDLINE.  I infer from the FAQ
that the BioMed Central citations will NOT be in MEDLINE (at least, not
initially) and therefore will not be retrieved in searches done on the
MEDLINE database as supplied by the many other vendors who lease it (e.g.,
OVID, Aries, EBSCO, etc.).

The question about who will be doing the indexing (which is not addressed
in the FAQ) is also relevant to retrieval.  Articles included in MEDLINE
continue to be indexed by individual human indexers applying the MeSH
controlled vocabulary.  Search strategies developed using MeSH headings
may also miss BioMed citations, even if the search is performed in PubMed,
if those articles are indexed only as textwords drawn from the titles
and/or abstracts.

One hopes that the recent Hopkins flap has highlighted for many
researchers the importance of understanding exactly what is contained in
various databases and how they are indexed.  I expect the BioMed Central
journals to be a very important vehicle for scholarly communication, and
librarians (and researchers) will need to be sure that their search
strategies are developed in such a way that they do not miss important
articles.

T. Scott Plutchak
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham

tscott@uab.edu