From: David Goodman [mailto:dgoodman@Princeton.EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 9:24 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Elsevier no longer signing consortial agreements for
ScienceDirect

Dear Mr. Dietz,

Since it seems Elsevier account managers sometimes "mis communicate" and
are subject to "confusion", many librarians do not totally rely on
information we receive from them.  It is often much more advisable to get
authoritative information in a public forum from one of the people at
Elsevier who know what is going on, rather than rely on private
conversations.

Please note that the account manager for our particular account has
without exception given us accurate and helpful assistance, and I have the
highest praise for her knowledge and effort. But others' experience has
apparently varied. It would help us all if you continued to announce your
policies in detail in public, did not attempt to conceal information which
is not in fact confidential but merely the standard terms, and explain
things in a way that is less subject to misinterpretation.  That your
company has achieved less than total success in this general area should
be obvious from the comments here and on reedelsevier.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian
Princeton University Library
Princeton, NJ 08544-0001