Re: New England Journal of Medicine: a response regarding accesspolicy

Kent, your (NEJM's) response is specious at best.  The rationale for all
of us to go with online is the flexibility of access.  Your "new" approach
is very much old news in that it is closer to the model of 10-20 years ago
when we were restricted to one or a few workstations.

This policy will disenfranchise our distant ed folks as well as our
students, clinicians, researchers and others who do their work from their
offices, clinics, or even their homes.  One of the justifications we use
for getting the funding for these expensive online resources is just this
flexibility of access.

If this policy goes into effect and our access is so limited we will,
almost certainly, revert even further and just maintain a print
subscription.

Leave it to NEJM to move us backward.  This is SO not a good idea.

We understand the need for NEJM to protect its income stream but you might
find this policy coming back to kick you in the finances, where it will
hurt the most.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and