Re: Wiley 2002 Access Policy

According to the publisher, the basic license for 2002 will be *exactly*
the same as for 2001, EXCEPT that:

> for institutional customers who have
> activated their Basic Access License before December 31, 2001,
> your institution will retain access to all available online back
> volumes of your currently subscribed journals.

and those who don't will not get back years. Presumably everyone who gets
Wiley titles has already activated their licenses to the e-journal
versions of them.  As I read it, if one were to subscribe to a new Wiley
title for 2002, one would not get access to the backfile. I do not know if
that is what they intend.

As for statistics, Elsevier does not offer them for their "free" Elsevier
"Web Editions" most-recent 12 months access to subscribed print titles. So
this is nothing new. I find both policies exceedingly strange and
counterproductive from the publisher's point of view: surely they want to
show us how much the titles are used. The use of the most recent 12 months
of an electronic title might more than equal the total use of the print,
thus doubling the use and halving the cost per user. This can only work to
their benefit. Unless, of course, if it shows no use ...

___