Re: New Republic letter

I certainly agree with Mr. Muchnick, but unfortunately Tasini also
provides publishers with a convenient excuse for not letting libraries and
other users have access to which they are entitled, or to charge extra and
unjustifiable fees for such access. It also is letting them hold us and
the readers hostage while they negotiate with the authors for the fair
payments to which the authors are entitled.

This note is meant just as a warning that we should be on guard against
this.  "It's prohibited by Tasini" will join "It's prohibited by
copyright" among the excuses for attempts to narrow or eliminate fair use.
Our best response as librarians is to change our attitude from "it isn't
fair use unless we can be sure it is" to "it is fair use unless we can be
sure it isn't".

As you can tell, I'm not a lawyer and this is not intended as legal
advice.

David Goodman
Princeton University