RE: Tempestuous Arguments

The analysis of different aggregators and their relationship with
publishers and embargos has been highly informative, and Mr. Brooks' last
posting begins to steer us towards a discussion which I think this group
would be able to do well and which would have much import on publishers as
well as aggregators.

Some of the questions I would like to see addressed are:

1. What impact does the practice of embargoed content have on subscription
decisions? Does the fact that one is purchasing a less-than-current
product reflect on its usefulness and does this influence whether one's
institution sees this currency of content as enough of a problem to
question the validity of its subscription?

2. If one is paying full price for a title which is not embargoed,
conversely, should one feel that it is fair of a publisher and or
aggregator to ask a full price for a title which has an embargo in the
case of journals which appear in more than one aggregator's list?

3. While the entire matter of embargoed information is quite legal, it is
quite ethical, and how does this practice reflect on publishers who,
obviously, seem to be willing to withhold current information except to
the highest bidder?

Translating these questions into more practical terms: if I know that I
can get Journal X from aggregator Y at price Z with current information in
it, does aggregator A have the 'right' to charge the same price for
Journal X when the content will be six months delayed? How would this
situation affect my subscription decisions, how does this situation
reflect my regard for Journal X, its publisher, and, indeed, the impact of
its content? We've heard an enlightening discussion of embargoed
information from the aggregator's side, but, the consumer has been
strangely silent on this issue so far. I hope that all parties in this
issue would be able to enter into a frank and non-threatening discussion
from which we could all learn.

Peter Picerno