RE: Tempestuous Arguments

Mr. Krumenaker is correct in explaining how our views differ regarding the
application of embargoes to Ebsco titles. My comparison was indeed to a
subset of Ebsco Host, not to the entire title inventory of Ebsco Host in
its entirety.

However, according to Mr. Krumanaker's analysis, Ebsco Host embargoes only
932 (or 15% of their title inventory - see below) According to the title
list for Search Premier, which by Mr. Krumanaker's own admission, is a
subset of Ebsco hosts, there are a total of 1607 embargoed titles (even
more if you add embargoes less than three months). Using this number,
Ebsco Host's embargo rate jumps from 18% to 31.5% (1607/5093).

Perhaps Mr. Krumenaker could shed some perspective on which is the correct
analysis.

>From "A Tempest in a Librarian's Teapot" below:

I did not "clean" this file of 5,093 titles, which was a few hundred more
than the original file sent to me. Nevertheless the conclusion shouldn't
differ. There are only 932 titles with embargoes in the periodical
(non-newspaper) listings. That's 18 percent of the titles. Of these 932,
the embargo is one year for 588, or 63 percent of the embargoed listings
and 11 percent of the entire periodical list. Most of the rest are 6-month
embargoes and only 52 titles (1 percent) have embargoes that extend more
than one year.

William A. Sampson
The Gale Group
Copyright & Licensing