Re: History of licensing

Didn't the regional medical libraries have to sign contracts to use
MEDLARS in the early 70's?  I don't know if OCLC required contracts in
1971.  I was in public services then.  I think I remember licenses with a
book catalog vendor and then a COM catalog vendor in the early and
mid-70's.  And I definitely remember a huge discussion about whether our
Library should be allowed to contract with Dialog directly or whether the
contract should be with the computer center, which understood these arcane
matters.  We were allowed, but only with a computer center analyst looking
over our shoulders. I remember a series of grueling discussions trying to
explain to him what Dialog was.  That would have been in the summer of
aught-75.  We'll have to await Joyce's article for a definitive stirring
of the old gray cells.