licence under 2 laws?

Colleagues,

We have been asked to sign a licence which says that it is governed
by both US and UK copyright laws, and that "Customer acknowledges
that it and its Users have no right to make copies [....] except to
the extent permitted by such copyright laws."

Where the two laws differ, how does that leave us and our readers:
if something would be permitted under one law and not the other, does
our User have the right to do it or not?   Any thoughts, especially
from UK colleagues?

Pam

Pam Davies,  IPR and Projects Officer,
Edward Boyle Library, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
p.m.davies@leeds.ac.uk    tel: 0113 233 5543   fax: 0113 233 5539