EBSCO Statement re. Tasini Ruling

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:09:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: Listserv <ebsco_web@epnet.com>
Subject: Freelance Articles

Greetings:

Although our position has not changed, we find it appropriate to offer
comments on the heels of the ruling in the case of Tasini et al. vs The New
York Times Co., Inc. et al.

As an intermediary between institutions and copyright holders, EBSCO
Publishing's goal is to provide comprehensive, high quality research
databases to our institutional customers, and fairly compensate copyright
holders.  While articles authored by freelance authors represent a small
percentage of the content in our products, we hope to continue to be able to
include this valuable content in our databases, and will work with the
appropriate parties to accomplish this.

In the coming months, as we communicate with our publisher partners, and the
implications of the recent Supreme Court Ruling become more clear, we will
communicate with our customers about any resulting impact on our products.

Thank You.

Via:  Donald P. Doak
Vice President; Field Sales
EBSCO Publishing