RE: Supreme Court Ruling--Copyright--New York Times v. Tasini

I meant "were."  You'll note the verb in the second clause is past tense
as is, I hope, the sense of the sentence.  Sloppy composition on my part.
However, I think the publishers are now more than ever engaged in
strategies to reengineer their offerings to make them, still, "must
purchases."