RE: Ruling on Tasini Case

The answer to this question will be critically important to any of us who
are doing such projects.  I'm doing a digital orchid library for the
American Orchid Society (www.msu.edu/user/harveyb/AOS/AOSindex.html).  As
I understand the appeals court decision, a distinction was made between
scanning an image (which, like microfilm, was ok) and creating a machine
readable file, which was not).  If the Supremes stayed with what the
appeals court decided, we should be ok, at least for projects that are
limited to scanned images only.  I haven't seen the decision itself yet,
and none of the press has addressed this issue.

Harvey Brenneise
Michigan Public Health Institute
hbrenne@mphi.org