Re: Supreme Court Ruling--Copyright--New York Times v. Tasini

Aggregators have contracts with publishers. If publishers do not have the
rights to license downstream, aggregators will have to remove the content
from their databases which will become less useful to their customers. I
cannot see that they will be able to ask for more. It will make their
product less attractive and will handicap their business.

If publishers want to get the rights they may have to pay more but,
leaving aside the payments, there will be a huge bureaucratic workload to
accomplish a complete rights coverage. That costs money. Some extra costs
will get passed on to the customer even if some can be absorbed.

I am interested to learn what John Webb means by the word "excuse". Is
this a philosophical critique of capitalism or just a knee-jerk reaction
to a situation which is not going to help information providers at all
(either publishers or librarians or aggregators) however fair and
reasonable the judgement may have been

Anthony Watkinson