Re: NYTimes.com Article: High Court Sides With Freelance Writers inElectronic Rights Case

The Supreme Court's decision in the Tasini case is indeed of major
importance.  But a word of caution.  The Supreme Court has backed the
copyright owner - in this case the freelance authors.  This is consistent
with other major copyright cases in both the USA and in other
jurisdictions.

When we consider it in the context of scholarly communication, the
implications are that the publisher - generally either the copyright owner
or as the exclusive publishing licensee - will receive the same level of
protection from the courts as Tasini et al did in this case.  Libraries
need to be as careful about ensuring usage of electronic content is
consistent with the terms of the license or, in default, the provisions of
copyright law as publishers have to ensure they secure all the rights they
need to publish.

John Cox Associates
Rookwood, Bradden
TOWCESTER, Northants NN12 8ED