RE: Elsevier Science appoints Leo Voogt

> Unless Elsevier is willing to decrease the cost of their journals by 95%
> or more for the more impoverished African countries, such as Uganda and
> Nigeria, I can't see what good any Library Relations Director might do for
> African libraries.

I don't think doing good for African libraries enters into it at all.
The purpose of a public relations (or, in this case, library relations)
director is to do good for the company.  There's nothing intrinsically
wrong with that, of course -- but no one should think that Mr. Voogt's job
will be to make things better for libraries in Africa.  His job will be to
make libraries in Africa feel better about doing business with Elsevier.

Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno      "Let us beware most of all and
1664 No. Virginia St.            criticize most effectively those
Reno, NV  89557                  with whom we yearn to agree."
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273                 -- Debra Nails
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu