From: Price, Vince [mailto:vince.price@bellhowell.infolearning.com]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 6:16 PM
To: 'liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu'
Subject: FW: Aggregator Embargoes -- more info

I would like to respond to the claims made about ProQuest on embargoes and
halted titles.

ProQuest includes a total of just 72 titles with embargoes. Embargoed
titles represent less than 2% of the 4,000+ active full-text titles in
ProQuest. Of the 72 embargoed titles, 60 have an embargo of less than one
year and 45 are less than 30 days.

ProQuest Research Library includes 25 embargoed titles out of more than
1,600 full-text sources--less than 2% of the titles. And 12 of the 25 have
embargoes of less than 30 days. The competitor's database lists 1,268
embargoed titles. This represents nearly 50% of the full text in the
database. Further, 73% of these titles carry an embargo of one year or
more.

Regarding peer-reviewed content, both databases have nearly the same total
number of active, non-embargoed, peer-reviewed titles. However, 42% of the
full text in Research Library is non-embargoed, peer-reviewed content
compared to only 28% from our competitor. This disparity has a major
impact on the quality of reverse chronologically sorted hit lists for the
user.

There are also claims made about halted titles in our database. More than
1,100 publisher participate in our electronic publishing programs.
ProQuest has a much larger base of publishers than its competitors.
Recently, a few of these publishers have granted limited exclusive
("preferred") rights for their titles to another vendor. It is suggested
that the exclusives are initiated by publishers in the interest of
managing print erosion. We disagree.

First, publishers manage print erosion through embargoes, not exclusives.
A publisher can just as easily set an embargo on all aggregators as with
one. Second, these preferred agreements exclude only a couple of specific
competitors.  There remain vendors that provide the titles in aggregated
databases to libraries. If publishers are pursuing exclusives to manage
print erosion, they would exclude all aggregators, not just a two or
three. The limited exclusive agreements are a product of extraordinary
financial offers to publishers to persuade them to remove content from
competing databases. The goal is to damage competitor products and
restrict access to the content. The result is limited access and a higher
cost structure.

We work to win subscribers by improving our databases, not by restricting
content access and limiting library choice. We are actively working with
publishers to maintain and add the high quality content that our customers
expect and deserve. Watch for announcements about several new publisher
agreements that will bring hundreds of scholarly titles our subscribers.

Vince Price
Vice President - ProQuest Marketing
Bell & Howell Information and Learning
Ph: 800-521-0600