Resource Library responsibilities

This is in answer to Scott's question about the responsibilities of NN/LM
resource libraries as concerns secondary users.

I contacted NN/LM and the following is part of the reply:

"I think public/state funded institutions (and I realize not all the money
comes from the state) have some sort of obligation to serve its citizens.
When we do referrals we try to refer the public to their public lib and
then to the resource library closest. We also tell them about MEDLINEplus
and PubMed in the hope that they can solve their info need before going to
the local sources. ILLs or documents will be a problem for the
do-it-yourselfers, but onsite access, at a reasonable photocopy fee,
should alleviate the issue.  Resource libs can decide for themselves if
they want to provide the public with ILL services or refer them to their
local public lib., which many times will do ILLs with reluctance.

I think it is reasonable to charge the public for document delivery
services as you would do any user. The question is how much and we have
let that to the library's discretion. We haven't muddled in Loansome Doc
fees (and some, even this libs, are high in my estimation) for
unaffiliated HPs and I would assume any one willing to serve the public
would have a similar fee for the general public."

Also, since NLM has gotten more active in providing services to the
general public, the following additions for resource libraries' contracts
which are now being discussed are:

"1. Agreeing to provide unaffiliated HPs within a designated area with
access to document delivery via Loansome Doc (this is in the agreement for
Region 2 libs - stated as within your state.)

2. Agreeing to participate in the implementation of health professional
outreach programs (this will be done through subcontracts in Region 2)

3. Agreeing to participate in the implementation of outreach programs to
improve the public's access to electronic health information (thru
subcontracts in Region 2)"

Although not formerly written into past contracts, since NLM and NN/LM
regularly refer unaffiliated users to the regional libraries, it seems
implicit that we are expected to provide the services.  With the current
discussions at NLM about unaffiliated users etc., it seem this may become
more formalized.

I have been involved in this type of outreach for the past (nearly) 16
years and have always operated under the same conclusion - that this is an
extension of our responsibilities.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and