RE: National Online: Nature and Others... (like SCIENCE)

> You are basing that calculation on the assumption that all of those users
> represented by the library will actually use the resource.

No, I'm basing it on the assumption that all of those users have the
_opportunity_ to use it.  Granted, not all of them will take advantage.
But at UNR, we break even at 46 users -- every user beyond that number is
getting access for less than $77 of the library's money, and many of those
users will be faculty members (who would have had to pay $127 for an
individual subscription).  There's simply no way to reasonably construe
institutional access to Science Online as anything less than a bargain for
most institutions.  (Nor, I maintain, is there any reasonable way to
construe the existence of a higher-priced premium service as
"discrimination.")

Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 No. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89557