RE: Aggregator Embargoes

Hi all

We discussed this with EBSCO late last year.  Their take on it was that
the embargoes were the price they had to pay to get the full text coverage
into their databases - on the principle that some full-text is better than
no full text, they're accepting the embargoes.  They try to emphasise that
the same embargo period will apply to any other aggregator that wants to
load the content, though this is not exactly a great comfort to us as
customers. Certainly it's hardly good customer service to then list
coverage as "to present" in their MARC records.

It's worth noting that most of these publishers mentioned have extensive
commitments to online full text provision via their own services, eg
SpringerLink, Synergy, Catchword, and we may need to look no further as to
why they don't want current full text available from aggregators.

Regards
Tim
Tim Darlington
Electronic Services Librarian