Re: Fair use (RE: electronic journals CCC)

It seems to me that Scott Plutchak's analysis is in many ways correct
especially where he understands that the argument is not just about money.
However is he not wanting to overturn international copyright agreements,
where there is attempt to balance copyright protection and exceptions to
copyright? I am thinking particularly of the Berne three-step test. In the
new European Directive the three-step test has (as I understand it) been
made central to the treatment of exceptions. Judging by the commennts
relayed to this listserve the Directive has been welcomed by European
librarians and it is (as I have pointed out here also) been broadly
accepted by Publishers. Some might want to disturb the balance rather
trying to make it applicable to the digital as well as the print
enviroment but this is not the position of publishers. Should it be the
position of librarians?

Anthony Watkinson
14, Park Street,
Bladon
Woodstock
Oxfordshire
England OX20 1RW
phone +44 1993 811561 and fax +44 1993  810067